Reporting to the chief executive officer, the Controller/Finance Diretor will lead all day-to-day operations of the finance department, including budget development and analysis, accounting for investments/projects, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, relationship management with banks and other vendors, and audit preparation. This team member will collaborate with a variety of internal constituents, including the CEO, COO, CAO, staff, program leaders and partners, and students and families.
This team member will be charged with identifying new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs, and respond proactively to other departments needs. She or he will need to analyze the existing processes and systems and work closely with the CEO, board of directors, and administrators to streamline current systems, leverage new information technology, and establish standard operating procedures that provide maximum benefit to all parties involved.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a proactive, hands-on finance manager who brings a successful track record of creative problem-solving and strengthening infrastructure to work in a mission-driven organization.
Strategic Financial Management
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both division budgets and actual expenditures.
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with members of the leadership team in drafting, reviewing, and verifying accuracy of annual HQ budgets by department.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting for all of Build UP and its operations.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Account for and track the performance of Build UP's assets in keeping with Board policies.
- Coordinate all audit activities with audit firm.
- Provide the necessary training and development for staff to implement fiscal controls and systems.
- Manage work load issues effectively to help create a sustainable workplace
- Prior nonprofit finance experience with a successful track record in a senior financial management role for at least 7-plus years is essential
- Demonstrable experience in creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational change; ability to anticipate the infrastructure and systems needs in a complex, national, multisite nonprofit
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Recognized success in developing and monitoring systems to manage both internal operations and programmatic work that involve high levels of collaboration, particularly with program directors and other senior leadership
- An accessible, visible, and flexible management style that inspires trust and confidence in staff to work hard and well together
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making in a complex organization; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Direct and concise communication skills; an active listener; ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Technology savvy with the ability to manage data for financial reporting quickly and effectively
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility, and a commitment to the mission and vision of Build UP