Build Up is seeking dynamic and passionate secondary teachers (grades 7-12) to lead our groundbreaking work in western Birmingham. Build Up Teacher works to create a warm and welcoming school culture that is driven by student achievement, and committed to outrageously high expectations and high support for students.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Develops schemes of work, lesson plans, and tests that are in accordance with established procedures.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use the information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies, and school regulations.
- Prepare required reports on students and activities.
- Participate in department, school, district, and parent meetings.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare classroom for class activities.
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development.
- Assign and grade classwork, homework, tests, and assignments.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic, and ability backgrounds.
- Encourage parent and community involvement, obtain information for parents when requested, promptly return phone calls, and answer emails.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities.
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs, and student organizations as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Must have or be willing to work towards teacher certification
- Demonstrated expertise in the subject area of Algebra, Geometry or Financial Math
- Classroom teaching experience in an urban school setting
- Documented experience using data-driven instruction to achieve significant student gains
Compensation and Benefits Package
- Commensurate with Birmingham City Schools Certified Salary Schedule
- Full-Time Employees are eligible for health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits