Head of Schools
The Head of Schools embodies the mission of the school and articulates the mission for all aspects of the school’s program. In keeping with the school’s mission, the head of school fosters the traditions, relationships, and practices that determine the school’s climate and culture. The head of school is responsible for the overall management of the schools, in accordance with the board’s policies. The head of school is the spokesperson for the schools with all its internal and external constituencies including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, neighbors.
Though much of the work is properly delegated, the head of school has ultimate and overall responsibility for board relations, curriculum, and instruction, student life, admission, and advancement.
The head of school advises the board but is not responsible for governance matters just as the board advises the head but is not responsible for management matters. Together, the head of school and board form an equal partnership in running the school, each in their respective spheres of management and governance. The head of school is an ex officio, non-voting, member of the board, and all board committees. The head of school:
- Keeps the board informed of all matters relating to the school through reports at board meetings and immediate communication following major school events or happenings.
- Makes recommendations to the board for approval of the operating and capital budgets, including all categories of income and expenditures.
- Seeks direction from the board on new initiatives.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Upholds the academic and ethical standards of the school.
- Hires supervises, evaluates, and dismisses all administrators, faculty, and staff members.
- Fosters professionalism, collegiality, and ethical conduct in the faculty.
- Provides for the professional development of the faculty.
- Stimulates and participates in the dialog about teaching and learning at the school.
- Supervises the selection of curricula, class schedules, assessments, graduation requirements, and all aspects of the school’s academic program.
- Optimizes the physical learning environment and technology in all instructional areas.
- Provides resolutions to parent issues and concerns.
- Models the CORE values of Build UP on a daily basis.
Compensation and Benefits Package
- Commensurate with Birmingham City Schools Certified Salary Schedule
- Full-Time Employees are eligible for health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits