Can you spread a bold, compelling vision throughout the Birmingham community to build partnerships, attract youth and families, and enlist funding support? The Executive Director embodies and articulates Build UP's mission for all aspects of the program while leading the adults (educators and construction staff)to empower youth and communities to determine their own future. In keeping with the school’s mission, the Executive Director fosters the traditions, relationships, and practices that determine the school’s climate and culture. The Executive Director will lead Build UP with all their internal and external constituencies including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, neighbors, and a broad range of cross-sector, catalytic partners. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the schools and program, in accordance with the board’s policies. The head of school is the spokesperson for the schools with all its internal and external constituencies including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, neighbors.
Though much of the work is properly delegated, the Executive Director has ultimate and overall responsibility for board relations, curriculum, and instruction, student life, admission, development, and advancement.
The Executive Director advises the board but is not responsible for governance matters just as the board advises the E.D. but is not responsible for management and programmatic matters. Together, the E.D. and board form an equal partnership in running Build UP, each in their respective spheres of management and governance. The E.D. is an ex officio, non-voting, member of the board, and all board committees. The Executive Director:
- Keeps the board informed of all matters relating to the school through reports at board meetings and immediate communication following major school events or happenings.
- Makes recommendations to the board for approval of the operating and capital budgets, including all categories of income and expenditures.
- Seeks direction from the board on new initiatives.
Program Oversight and Leadership
- Serves as the "Face of Build UP" throughout the Birmingham region
- Upholds the academic and ethical standards of the school.
- Hires supervises, evaluates, and dismisses all administrators, faculty, and staff members.
- Fosters professionalism, collegiality, and ethical conduct in the faculty.
- Provides for the professional development of the faculty.
- Ushers school staff through an annual budgeting process.
- Stimulates and participates in the dialog about teaching and learning at the school.
- Supervises the selection of curricula, class schedules, assessments, graduation requirements, and all aspects of the school’s academic program.
- Optimizes the physical learning environment and technology in all instructional areas.
- Provides resolutions to parent issues and concerns.
- Models the CORE values of Build UP on a daily basis.
- Supports partner development and engagement with program staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits Package
- $100K+ dependent on background, experience, and education
- Full-Time Employees are eligible for health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits